(303) 627-5420
Altitude Endodontics logo
(303) 627-5420

Trauma Based Procedures Children and Adults

Traumatic Injuries Requiring Endodontic Treatment

There are several kinds of traumatic tooth injuries that might require endodontic treatment. While it is more typical for these kinds of injuries to occur in children and teenagers, people of all ages can experience traumatic injuries to their teeth. 

Many such injuries result from a fall, sports mishaps, or because of auto accidents. Regardless of the cause, however, the type and severity of injury are what ultimately determine the treatment you need. There are several common traumatic injuries that Altitude Endodontics can help to treat.

Avulsed Tooth
An avulsed tooth is one that has been knocked out of your mouth. In this event, it is vital to get immediate treatment to possibly save the tooth. It is possible to replant the tooth in its socket and have it last for years afterward.

The first thing to do if you have an avulsed tooth is to wash the tooth for no more than 10 seconds under cold running water, and then, immediately put it back in the socket if you can. Just carefully push it back in and gently hold it in place while you get to your endodontist. 

If you can’t reinsert it, then you want to keep it moist while you get to the endodontist’s office. It’s important to put it in an appropriate storage solution. You can simply put it in milk or you can use a special storage medium, such as Hank’s Balanced Salt Solution. It can also be transported in your mouth – inside your lip or cheek. Whatever you do, don’t put it in water. You also don’t want to scrub it, wrap it in tissue paper, or let it dry out. 

The method you use to store it and the length of time it has been out of your mouth will determine the treatment you need. That might involve a root canal treatment depending on the stage of root development.

Dislodged Tooth

Sometimes, traumatic injuries can cause your teeth to be pushed back further into their sockets. If this happens, your endodontist might be able to stabilize the tooth without any other treatment. If the pulp is damaged, however, then it might be necessary to initiate a root canal treatment.

Cracked Tooth

A traumatic injury to a tooth might not cause the tooth to be dislodged or avulsed; rather, it might simply be cracked. Depending on the location, size, and type of crack, your endodontist might choose root canal therapy. It all depends on if the pulp is damaged. If so, a root canal will be necessary. If not, it might simply be a matter of stabilizing the tooth so it can heal.

Contact Altitude Endodontics Today
If you have an injury to your tooth, time is of the essence. Contact our office today for an immediate appointment to assess your situation.